Sunday, August 17, 2008

Best Careers 2008

I was thrilled to read that a career in editing is one of the best 31 careers of 2008, according to U.S. News and World Report.

The web site says, "The careers listed at left offer strong outlooks and high job satisfaction."
Other "best" careers include landscape architect, mediator, professor, physician assistant, and school psychologist.

The Editor entry says that a key to being a good editor is to be able to write accurately and quickly. However, it also says you must "need the skills of a good diplomat, too, to be assertive yet tactful when dealing with powerful publishers and know-it-all writers."

I honestly don't know what I will do yet with my degree. When I finish school in December, I will immediately start looking around for a career that will interest me. I would like to find something in human resources, but this editing class has sparked my interest in editing.

The beauty of a degree in communications is that you can really be multi-faceted and good at everything. I think knowing a little bit about everything is key to finding a good career.

No comments: